Skip to content

FROM THE ARCHIVES

Connective Tissue

When two cottages became one hotel

By Audrey Moriarty

Photographs from the Tufts Archives

 

In the earliest days of Pinehurst, James Walker Tufts had his hands full trying to keep up with the demand for rooms at his winter resort. The Holly Inn was always full, and several other rooming houses were taxed to capacity.

In the summer of 1898, two cottages, the Oak (pictured to the left), and the Hanover (pictured to the right), were joined. Located just beyond the Magnolia Inn, the two large cottages were connected by an addition built between them that included a covered piazza, reading room and additional bathrooms. A spacious veranda and mudroom ran the length of the building, lined in windows and sporting a large open fireplace. The new structure became the Berkshire Hotel, and it could seat 100 people comfortably at dinner.

The Berkshire featured “quiet home-like surroundings for refined people of moderate means,” according to the Pinehurst Outlook. In season, it cost $2 a day, or $10 a week. Croquet grounds were laid out directly opposite the hotel, for the entertainment of the guests. Many guests chose to stay there every season, and the group was genial, forming long-term friendships. They often had croquet matches, card games and “disguise” parties, where guests tried to hide their identity.

While the Tufts family owned the Berkshire, they leased it to Edwin S. Blodgett, who managed it. In 1957, a room was added for a long-standing gentlemen’s bridge group called The Wolves. In 1959, Blodgett passed away, and his wife, Bessie, finished off the remaining portion of the lease. In May 1960, after 62 years of operation, it was decided to close the Berkshire and demolish it. The Wolves area was left standing, and the club members paid to erect the necessary walls to properly enclose it. It is now part of a private home. Bessie Blodgett went on to become the librarian at Given Memorial Library from 1964-1982. PS Audrey Moriarty is the Library Services and Archives director for the village of Pinehurst.